Recipe Notes & Tips
One question I often get with appetizer recipes is whether it can be made ahead. This is one that really can't be made ahead and needs to be served right away because there isn't a great way to keep the avocado from browning. It's also best when the baguette is freshly toasted.
Working with Avocados
Always cut an avocado on a cutting board and never hold it in your hand to cut it. This helps avoid injury. I also recommend using a chef's knife rather than a smaller type of knife because it will be easier to cut through the skin. I regularly use a santoku knife instead of a chef's knife. For more avocado cutting tips, see How to Cut an Avocado from Evolving Table.
After slicing the avocado in half and removing the pit, I use a regular spoon to scoop out the insides from the skin. I also use a regular fork for mashing the avocado. Nothing special needed!
Smoked Sea Salt
My mom sent me some of this Maldon brand smoked sea salt, and this is one of the first recipes I used it in. Other brands of smoked sea salt are available, but this is the only one I've tried so far. Kitchn refers to smoked sea salt as "the $6 ingredient that adds smoky grilled flavor (without the grill)" and has several recommended uses for smoked sea salt.
Tomato & Mozzarella Avocado Toast Bites
- 1 fresh baguette
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- smoked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Slice the baguette into pieces about 1 inch thick, then slice each piece in half to make into bite-sized pieces.1 fresh baguette
- Spread a thin layer of butter onto each piece of bread. Place onto a baking sheet, butter side up, and bake for about 5 to 8 minutes until the bread is toasted. Set aside. (Note: You can begin prepping the avocado mash while the bread is toasting.)butter
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with ½ teaspoon lemon juice, 1 pinch of black pepper, and 1 teaspoon minced fresh onion.1 avocado, ½ teaspoon lemon juice, 1 pinch black pepper, 1 teaspoon minced fresh onion
- Assemble the avocado toasts once the bread is cool to the touch. Spread a layer of avocado mash on top of each piece, sprinkle with smoked sea salt, then add a mozzarella slice and a tomato. Serve immediately.8 cherry tomatoes, 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, smoked sea salt