These cupcakes are perfect for summer! The cake is light and airy, and the strawberry lemon flavors are perfect for summertime. They're also not at all hard to make.
I use a Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Strawberry Supreme as the base for this recipe. (Yeah, sometimes I cheat and don't make 100% homemade cupcakes.) Why take a shortcut and use a boxed cake mix? It's easy, and I want to put my energy toward the homemade frosting. I make fully homemade cupcakes plenty, but I don't think using a boxed cake mix compromises this recipe.
Adding a filling really dresses up a boxed cake mix, and it's so easy to do. This recipe takes another shortcut with the filling. Instant Jello pudding makes great cupcake filling. I mix it with half n half or heavy cream instead of milk to make it set thicker. I use an apple corer to take the centers out of the cupcakes before filling. The post for my Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes has step by step photos that include removing the centers for filling.
The cupcakes taste best within the first couple days of making them, but they do keep for several days. I keep them in a cupcake carrier on my kitchen counter. I generally don't recommend keeping them in the refrigerator unless you keep your house very warm. Cakes and refrigerators don't play well together. The fridge can really dry out a cake!
There are so many great summer cupcake recipes! If you're looking for some more inspiration, check out these Blackberry Lime Cupcakes from My Kitchen Love or Key Lime Cupcakes from House of Nash Eats.
Lemon Filled Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 box instant lemon pudding mix
- 2 cups half & half cold
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Bake cupcakes per package instructions. Recommended: Check cupcakes at the minimum baking time per the box to see if they're done. Baking the cupcakes just enough to be done is the key to their fluffiness!
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Filling and frosting can be made while the cupcakes are cooling.
- Make the filling by beating half & half and pudding mix together for 2 minutes. Set aside filling in the fridge.
- Make buttercream by beating together all ingredients. Beat at a high speed for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Use apple corer to remove centers of the cupcakes.
- Transfer filling to a piping bag with a large tip. Fill each cupcake with filling.
- Add frosting to a piping bag. Frost each cupcake.